The Last Vegas Massacre has been the main topic of Breaking News lately as law enforcement is trying desperately to find a motive. The country is buzzing with theories and conspiracies as we all try to cope with what happened just a few days ago. Here is a breakdown of what we already know about the crime itself, as well as the perpetrator.
- Stephen Paddock was a retired accountant, avid gambler, and successful real estate investor with no known ties to ISIS or any other terrorist organization. Unlike his father, he has no known criminal record
Paddock tried to buy tracer ammunition at a gun show in the Phoenix area in recent weeks- bullets with a pyrotechnic charge that, when the round is fired, leaves an illuminated trace of its path
- Paddock did not use tracer bullets when he fired into the festival crowd hundreds of yards away.
- According to CNN, a handwritten note was found in Paddock’s hotel room that contained calculations for targeting the crowd of concert goers below his room
- Authorities have determined that Paddock seemingly committed the act alone from his room, but are debating on whether anyone else knew of the crime beforehand
- 50 pounds of explosives and 1,600 rounds of ammunition were found in the killer’s car, and police have yet to determine what Paddock’s plans were for these weapons
- Paddock brought the 23 guns and ammunition he had in his hotel suite over the course of several days
- Paddock’s girlfriend, Marilou Danley, continues to cooperate with investigators, but her lawyers stated that she will not be making anymore public statements any time soon